The ideal meal for high blood pressure patients named DASH will create an eating habit suitable for your health, contributing to reducing the condition.
If you have high blood pressure, you need to make lifestyle changes to reduce the condition. And a change in diet should be the first thing you need to do. So how to build a reasonable meal for high blood pressure patients? Health My Lives will reveal to you a recipe called DASH in the article right below.
DASH, the ideal meal for high blood pressure patients includes what?
DASH (short for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) is a nutritional approach to the treatment of high blood pressure.
The DASH meal is very simple. DASH Meal means:
- You should eat a lot of vegetables such as tomatoes, sweet potatoes, green vegetables, carrots. Vegetables are rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals (potassium and magnesium). If you’re using packaged vegetables, choose one that says “low salt” or “no added salt” on the package.
- You should eat a lot of fruit. Fruit will become an important part of meals and snacks. They are a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals for the body. Typically they are low in fat (with the exception of coconut). You need to eat the shell if possible. If you use canned fruit, choose varieties that say “no sugar” or “no added sugar” on the package. Citrus fruits such as oranges and grapes will interact with certain medications. So you should check with your doctor.
- Eat plenty of low-fat or fat-free dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt. These foods are rich in vitamin D, calcium, and protein.
- Eat a lot of foods rich in whole grains such as noodles and bread.
- Eat a variety of nuts and seeds such as almonds, sunflower seeds, and beans. They are a good source of protein, potassium and magnesium for the body.
- Eat a variety of red meats like fish and poultry. They provide B vitamins, protein, zinc and iron. Fish like salmon, tuna are rich in omega-3 fatty acids , a type of fat that is good for the body.
- Eat less foods high in cholesterol, saturated fat, and trans fat . Choose foods that are labeled “unsaturated fat” , “trans fat free”.
Gradually change the diet when starting the DASH meal
You don’t have to stick to your new diet right away. Your body needs time to adjust and adapt. Since the ideal meal for DASH high blood pressure patients includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains that are rich in fiber, you’re likely to get diarrhea. However, don’t worry too much. You should gradually increase the number of vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy products, beans in the diet.
Record eating habits
You should keep a record of what you ate when you ate it, how much you ate it, and why you ate it. For example, make a note if you skipped breakfast if you ate a large meal if you ate a high-fat snack while watching a movie or if you didn’t eat vegetables. This will help you understand your eating habits and make the appropriate changes. You should also share your diary with a nutritionist. They will help you adjust your diet accordingly.
Choose DASH foods when eating out
Applying the right diet when eating out is also very important. For example, when you eat at a restaurant, you will not be able to control the number of vegetables, fruits, meat, and fish you need. When reading menus, try to find foods in the DASH group. Remember, you need to eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Add a salad, serve with boiled vegetables, fruit, or at least some low-fat or fat-free milk.
You should also bring lunch to work. You can try a sandwich (carrot, red cabbage, salmon, cucumber pieces), vegetable soup, a glass of milk, unsweetened fruit juice. These foods and drinks will help you eat healthy even when you’re not at home.
Keeping food fresh
You can add frozen, canned, or fresh foods to the ideal meal for high blood pressure patients. If you choose fresh foods, you should put them in a plastic bag. This helps keep food fresher for longer.
When applying the ideal meal for high blood pressure patients, DASH, you need to persevere in order to make them effective for your health.