This post was most recently updated on July 25th, 2023
Most people wonder if coconut oil can treat melasma or not. In fact, besides the use of coconut oil for stretch marks, hair care with coconut oil, stimulating long eyelashes, coconut oil also helps to improve hyperpigmented skin areas and even skin tone. Here are the six simple ways to treat melasma with coconut oil below.
- Is coconut oil effective for melasma?
- 6 effective and safe ways to treat melasma with coconut oil
- 1. Use virgin coconut oil to treat melasma
- 2. Treat melasma with coconut oil and honey
- 3. Repel skin pigmentation, dull skin with coconut oil and yogurt
- 4. Brighten and treat melasma with coconut oil and lemon
- 5. Moisturize and treat melasma with coconut oil and aloe vera
- 6. Tips to treat melasma, fade acne scars from coconut oil and turmeric
- Note when treating melasma with coconut oil
Is coconut oil effective for melasma?
Coconut oil contains ingredients like lauric acid and other vitamins that are beneficial for the skin. Specifically, when applying coconut oil directly to the affected skin areas, the minerals present in coconut oil can lighten skin pigmentation. In addition, the caprylic acid in coconut oil has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, thereby maintaining healthy skin. At the same time, it helps strengthen the skin’s resistance and protects the skin from harmful environmental influences.
Although there is no evidence that coconut oil can help treat melasma permanently. But another study suggested that coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and skin-protective effects, thereby helping to improve hyperpigmentation.
6 effective and safe ways to treat melasma with coconut oil
1. Use virgin coconut oil to treat melasma
You can use virgin coconut oil to help fade dark spots. In addition, the vitamin E component in coconut oil also inhibits the growth of melanin and moisturizes the skin, making it smooth and soft.
- Wash your face thoroughly with warm water, then let skin absorb the water.
- Apply coconut oil on your face, especially focusing on areas with melasma.
- Massage your face for about 1 minute to help the coconut oil penetrate deep into the skin.
- Relax your face for 15-20 minutes and wash your face with fresh clean water.
- Apply 2-3 times a week to achieve the desired effect of melasma.
2. Treat melasma with coconut oil and honey
Besides the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects on the skin, honey also helps to exfoliate and stimulate the production of new cells for the skin. Therefore, combining melasma treatment with coconut oil and honey will help repel pigmentation on the skin and fade brown spots effectively.
- Mix coconut oil with honey in the ratio 1:2.
- Wash your face thoroughly and apply this mixture on your skin for 15 minutes.
- Relax your skin and gently massage your face, then wash your face with clean water.
- Apply 2-3 times a week for quick results
Not only this duo has the effect of treating melasma but also helps to moisturize the skin and even out the skin tone. Thereby, giving you smoother and younger-looking skin.
3. Repel skin pigmentation, dull skin with coconut oil and yogurt
Yogurt without sugar is beneficial for the digestive system and intestines. In addition, some studies support the potential of yogurt to help improve brown spots on the skin caused by sun damage. At the same time, yogurt has the ability to create a free radical-neutralizing barrier against the harmful effects of the sun, and reduce the risk of the formation of melasma.
Therefore, a good combination of coconut oil and yogurt will help reverse the signs of melasma, moisturize the skin and prevent future skin pigmentation.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of yogurt.
- Mix these 2 ingredients together to form a smooth paste.
- Clean your face thoroughly with warm water.
- Apply a mixture of coconut oil and yogurt on dark spots.
- Massage the skin in a spiral.
- Nourish your skin with a melasma mask for about 15-20 minutes and wash it off with clean water.
- Apply 2-3 times a week to notice the difference in the skin.
4. Brighten and treat melasma with coconut oil and lemon
With its rich content of vitamin C and antioxidants, natural lemon juice can reduce skin damage and prevent premature skin aging. In addition, due to its high pH, lemons also help control oil and reduce inflammation. At the same time, the acid in lemon has the ability to naturally lighten the skin and improve acne scars effectively.
Therefore, the formula to treat melasma with coconut oil and lemon will help repel the pigmentation on the skin and make the skin whiter and more even.
- Mix coconut oil and lemon in the ratio 1:1.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Use a cotton ball to lightly dip this solution, and then apply it to the areas of the skin with pigmentation.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, and continue to clean your face.
- Maintain 2-3 times per week in the evening to ensure the best melasma treatment effect.
However, you need to be very careful because lemon contains a strong acid component, which can thin the skin and make it more susceptible to sunburn when exposed to ultraviolet rays. Therefore, do not forget to apply sunscreen every time you go out, or the best way is that you should limit going out during peak hours with strong sunlight, to avoid pigmentation not only does it fade but also will get darker and darker.
5. Moisturize and treat melasma with coconut oil and aloe vera
According to some available research information, ingredients like aloesin and aloin in aloe vera have skin lightening properties, reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation by destroying existing melanin cells. In addition, aloe vera also helps prevent the formation of melanin on the skin, moisturizes, and protects the skin from harmful effects from the environment.
When combining coconut oil with aloe vera, this duo will maximize the use of melasma, while moisturizing and brightening the areas of the skin with pigmentation.
- Wash, remove the skin of aloe vera, use a knife to cut out the gel inside.
- Rinse off the gel to remove all the sap.
- Grind aloe vera and mix it with coconut oil.
- Stir gently until a smooth paste is formed.
- Clean your skin with cleanser, and apply this mixture on your skin.
- Massage and relax facial skin within 1-2 minutes.
- Keep this mixture on your face for 15-20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Do regularly 2-3 times/week.
6. Tips to treat melasma, fade acne scars from coconut oil and turmeric
The curcumin in turmeric has UV -protective properties, acting as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory for the skin. In addition, one study found that curcumin inhibits the production of tyrosinase and melanin, both of which are responsible for melasma.
As a result, when combined with coconut oil melasma treatment, it will give you healthy, smooth skin, repelling the appearance of melanin pigments.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder.
- Use warm water to clean your face and pat dry.
- Apply a mixture of coconut oil and turmeric to the skin, paying attention to the areas with melasma.
- Relax for 15 minutes while waiting for the mixture to penetrate deeply into the skin.
- Wash face with warm water.
- Repeat regularly 2-3 times/week.
Note when treating melasma with coconut oil
To effectively treat melasma with coconut oil for optimal effectiveness without causing side effects, here are some notes that you need to remember:
- Protect your skin when out in the sun. Because coconut oil has a high content of vitamin E, it is likely to make facial skin susceptible to sunburn. Therefore, you should apply sunscreen 20-30 minutes before going out, combine with a wide-brimmed hat, mask, and long-sleeved clothes to avoid adverse effects on the skin.
- Only treat melasma with coconut oil in the evening. To limit skin exposure to the sun, you should apply the above methods in the evening.
- Coconut oil masks should not be applied overnight. Applying coconut oil mask for too long will cause the skin to clog pores , easy to form acne.
- Pure coconut oil. Choose to use virgin coconut oils, not mixed with impurities, and should have a clear origin.
- Do not wash your face with hot water. Many women often think that they should wash their face with hot water to help open pores and deep remove impurities. On the contrary, hot water will strip away the natural oils present on the skin, thereby making the skin rough because of lack of moisture, aging faster .
- Scientific mode of life. Do not stay up late, drink lots of water and add a variety of vegetables and fruits containing fiber, vitamin E, vitamin C to prevent melasma from the inside.
If melasma appears for a long time, the melasma legs will be located in the dermis or hypodermis of the skin, while coconut oil only affects the epidermis. Therefore, if using coconut oil to treat melasma for a long time, it will not go away, but it will need more specialized dermatological measures from specialized doctors.